Jul 08 2022 Create a Sensory Safe Yard for Children with Special Needs
Posted at 15:43h in Highlighted Articles, insta
Outdoor play can be calming or alerting for children with autism or a sensory processing disorder. It’s important to ensure their environments are safe and sensory-friendly to cultivate a positive experience.
- Keep things consistent & don’t move things unless necessary.
- Emphasize the openness of the outdoors
- Enclose play areas with fencing and railings.
- Add secluded safe space for retreats like an enclosed playhouse.
- Widen walkways to accommodate wheelchairs & walkers
- Add a wheelchair ramp.
- Install tactile features on or alongside walkways.
Check out these great resources we found to learn more on how to make the most of your time outside when dealing with autism or difficulty with sensory processing.